Monday, October 11, 2010

Dead Book Review: She Smells The Dead

8664283_thumb2 Title: She Smells the Dead

Author: E.J. Stevens

Publisher: Sacred Oak Press

Pages: 168

Summary: It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like the ghost hunting on television.

SHE SMELLS THE DEAD.

The smell impressions are becoming stronger. Yuki is being visited in her dreams, and she suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. To make matters worse her crush on Garrett is going unrequited, Yuki's friend Emma is on a rampage against bee oppression, and annoying Calvin Miller mysteriously disappears.

Will Yuki be able to focus her powers in time to save the lost soul who is haunting her? Meanwhile, who will save Yuki from following the spirits into the light?

Overall: 4.5 stars   
fourandahalfstar_thumb[5]

Review:

For some reason I had a really hard time thinking of what I was going to score She Smells the Dead. It had elements in which I both very much enjoyed and others not so much. But overall I was surprised at how much I loved this book! I mean that in a very good way. I had no idea what to expect from a book with the title She Smells the Dead and I was very happy with how it was all written and played out!

Yuki can smell the dead. She can smell the spirits of ghost that have not been able to pass over to the other side and are haunting in between the realms of the living and dead. It’s a strange gift, it’s a unique gift and she has learned to use it in a useful way with the help of her two friends Calvin and Emma. One of the things that I really think made this book was the characters! I can’t say that I didn’t like any of them. Calvin, Yuki’s best friend but maybe something more with a mysterious secret and good looks. Emma, Yuki’s vegan best friend who is on the constant rampage of how  people are killing animals and her skill with herbal medicines. Then, there’s Simon, who I just loved to bits! Read this book and find out his role in the book because it’s pretty freaking awesome. Let’s just say he’s a thirty-something man with good looks and a horribly flirty personality.

Through out the book Yuki is trying to help a spirit that seems to be haunting her, making her have the constant smell of vinegar in her nose. As she tries to solve the mystery of this man’s dead we also run into another person’s secret which was just another twist in the whole book. This book is part mystery, part romance, part adventure and all the things a person wants!

I loved the romance between Yuki and Calvin. It was very believable and sweet and I just want a Calvin for my own because he just sounds so yummy! At parts in the book I felt like the writing got a little repetitive and it was kind of hard to get into at the beginning but by the end I just wanted more more more! I seriously can’t wait for the next in the series, Spirit Storm!
______________________________________________________

A huge thanks to E.J. Stevens for sending me a copy of her book!

You can find E.J. on her WEBSITE and BLOG!

Order a copy of She Smells the Dead HERE!

smallerheartsign



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review! I was pretty hesitant on reading She Smells The Dead, but from what you said, I'll give it a shot!

M.A.D. said...

Mary D

This is one that I've been very curious about - especially due to that *awesomely dramatic* cover! Thanks for a wonderful review, now I've got to read this LOL

VickyTinky said...

She Smells The Dead sounds like an awesome book! When I saw the cover I was compelled to read the summary!

Judit said...

This is the first time I'm reading a review for She Smells The Dead. It definitely caught my atention and I'm putting it on my to-read list.
Thenks for the review!

Bitsy Bling Books said...

I've seen this one around the blogosphere. I know what you mean about sometimes having a hard time rating a book. Especially, if it takes you by surprise. Sometimes books don't have to be life changing, just entertaining. It sounds like it changed your mind for the better and not worse as it went on. That's a good sign!

Charlie
http://www.bitsyblingbooks.com

Amber said...

I've read really good reviews about this novel and really want to read it myself. I love when romances are sweet. Sexy romances are good too but sometimes, seeing a character fall for the nice guy is just so perfect. Thanks for the review!

Sophia said...

Oh this one sounds really good :) The plot sounds interesting, and I love the idea of smelling the dead =) Thanks for the review!

AmburHostyn said...

Awesome review :D
It sounds like an interesting book, and definitely a new spin on the whole sensing the dead front. I'm loving the sound of the characters in She Smells the Dead, so I'm definitely gonna have to add it to me TBR list :D

Thanks for sharing :)
Ambur

Darlyn said...

Great review! I've been reading a lot of reviews and seems everyone loving it!

Misha said...

Thanks a lot for the review! The book seems great!

PinkStuff28 said...

I looved your review...
Calvin Sounds H.O.T ...

Good Job doing this Review

Kai Agito said...

We have pretty much the same opinion about the book! Read it and I've enjoyed it so much too! I think I like Simon better though XD

Taffy said...

There are a few "dead" books I've been curious about lately. Thanks for your reviews.

Anonymous said...

Great review! I've been hearing so much about this book!

whitewolfreads said...

This sounds awesome! Thanks for the review, I'm definitely adding this book to my Wish List!

Becky said...

I wasn't quite sure what to think of a book with this title, but if it's as good as you say it is then I'll definitely have to check it out :)

Braiden said...

The girl on the cover looks seriously hawt! Nice review, I hope I can give this book a try :P

Jolene and Family said...

Great review, I can't wait to read this book and love that the dead carry around a vinegar smell.

Related Posts with Thumbnails