Friday, July 23, 2010

Book Review: The Fallen 1: The Fallen and Leviathan


Title: The Fallen 1: The Fallen and Leviathan
Author: Thomas E. Sniegoski
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 517

Summary: THE ULTIMATE QUEST FOR REDEMPTION.
On his eighteenth birthday, Aaron begins to hear strange voices and is convinced he is going insane. But having moved from foster home to foster home, Aaron doesn't know whom he can trust. He wants to confide in the cute girl from class, but fears she'll confirm he's crazy. Then a mysterious man begins following Aaron. He knows about Aaron's troubled past and his new powers. And he has a message for Aaron: As the son of a mortal and an angel, Aaron has been chosen to redeem the Fallen. Aaron tries to dismiss the news and resists his supernatural abilities. But he must accept his new found heritage -- and quickly. For the dark powers are gaining strength, and are hell-bent on destroying him....

Overall:




Review: The Fallen was first published back in March 2003 and Simon & Schuster recently republished the four book series with new covers. The first two were bound together. I debated about reviewing the two books separately, but they are going together.

I'm going to start by saying that I'm glad that this was from a guys POV because I don't get to read that very often in YA books. Aaron was a nice head to be inside of (even though it was told in third-person and there were a few alternating POVs). Aaron was just like you're average teenage boy. He went to high school, he had a family (though he's adopted), he had a dog, and he had a crush on the most beautiful girl in school. Life was pretty easy.

Until he started to be able to read his dog's mind.

And as if that's not enough, he's been having terrifying dreams about people with wings, he can suddenly speak and understand any language, and the girl he likes, Vilma, finally takes notice in him. Great timing.

I found the first book of The Fallen to be better than the second. Though in the second book we get to hear a lot more of Gabriel, his dog. Gabriel was probably my favorite character of the book! There were several times he had me laughing from his thoughts and it makes you wonder what your dog is thinking of at the moment.

Though, these books are far from being funny all the time. There is a good amount of action that takes place which I really liked. The author did a great job at describing that battles. Maybe even a little too much, because I was definitely grossed out a few times, but the writing was really good. Also, the villains nor the author were afraid to kill in the book, you have been warned.

Another character that I really enjoyed, though he was a totally jerk for most of the time, was
Cameal. He is the person that will help Aaron fulfill his destiny (no matter how much he doesn't want to). And he will also discover the wonderful delight of French Fries (yum).


In a nutshell: I really enjoyed reading the first two books of The Fallen. They made me laugh, cry, and never want to be able to hear my dog talk while he's hungry. I'm really looking forward to getting the next two book in the series and I'd recommend these books to anyone who loves a good adventure with a hint of comedy/horror and a pinch of a talking dog.




Cover: I can't say I don't love the model on the cover XD



Look out for the next two books in the series, The Fallen 2: Aerie and Reckoning












You can check out Thomas E. Sniegoski's official website HERE.



In other The Fallen related news:



So raise you hand if you knew that The Fallen had been made into a movie?



*hands limp at sides*



Well, it was news to me! And you would not believe the reaction I had once I saw who was the lead character!

And, No, you're eyes are not playing tricks on you! That there is our very sexy vampire, Paul Wesley, who plays Stephen on The Vampire Dairies! Awww, doesn't he look so adorable in this picture??







Also, it just so happen that The Fallen (all three movies apparently) will be playing on August 3-5 on ABC Family. I know I'll definitely be checking that out!


He could totally be my angel any day ;D
Okay, I'm done! I swear!
~Caitlin out.

2 comments:

DJ D. said...

I loved the movies when they were first shown, but I haven't read the books yet. Your review makes me want to, though! Thanks!

Jessi E. said...

I didn't really enjoy this book... I agree that when he started reading his dog's mind it was just a bit much for me... And I thought a bit of the plot was just .. not engaging.

Related Posts with Thumbnails