Friday, July 2, 2010

Book Review: Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind by Neal Shusterman



Summary (for goodreads): In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them.

Connor's parents want to be rid of him because he's a troublemaker. Risa has no parents and is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev's unwinding has been planned since his birth, as part of his family's strict religion. Brought together by chance, and kept together by desperation, these three unlikely companions make a harrowing cross-country journey, knowing their lives hang in the balance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday, they can't be harmed -- but when every piece of them, from their hands to their hearts, are wanted by a world gone mad, eighteen seems far, far away.
In Unwind, Boston Globe/Horn Book Award winner Neal Shusterman challenges readers' ideas about life -- not just where life begins, and where it ends, but what it truly means to be alive.

Rating: 5 stars +

Review: I found the book Unwind to be incredible original, kind of creepy, and exactly what I love. One of my favorite genre of books are Dystopias. Shusterman's world takes place later in time, after there has been a second Civil War between Pro-life and Pro-choice people. Now, children between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can become "unwind". And trust me, you don't want this to happen to you.

The book is told from several point of views, and I usually don't like that in a book. I found that it can get confusing, but Shusterman did a wonderful job at it.

Our three main characters are Connor, Risa, and Lev. We take a journey with the three of them, and how they are each brought to the fate of becoming unwinds on the run. Personally, my favorite character was Connor. He was a trouble maker, but he had a strong opinion and a clever personality.

The ending was quite a surprise to me, even though I should have saw it coming, the hints were there throughout the book. I really loved it.

This book was truly wonderful! I loved it so much it's goes straight to my top books list! Go run to the bookstore/library and get this book, you won't regret it!


Look out for the sequel to Unwind, UnWholly.

Book Info.:
reading level: YA book
Published by Simon and Schuster
335 pages

1 comment:

Chelle said...

This sounds interesting! I'll add it to my TBR list!

Related Posts with Thumbnails